Sleep is probably the most important recovery tool at your disposal, it can banish fatigue, allow protein synthesis to work, reduce inflammation, lower stress, and reduce cortisol.
But it is constantly underestimated by lifters. So many gym goers seem to be on #teamnosleep yet wonder why their results are coming so slowly.
While there are many things that you can do to help improve sleep quality (exercise regularly, avoid caffeine after 6pm, meditate etc), sometimes a sleep supplement can help you more than anything else.
A great product on the market right now is Elixir PM by eFlow Nutrition. Not only does it work as a sleep supporting supplement, but it may also help to burn fat while you are sleeping.
In this article we will be taking an in depth look at the ingredients list and helping you to decide whether Elixir PM is worth giving a go or not.
One of the first things that stands out about Elixir PM is its first ingredient, Gamma-Aminobutyric Acid (GABA). Elixir contains 1500mg of it.
Then there is a proprietary blend called “Sleep Elixir Matrix” which contains 5-Hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP), Mucuna Pruriens Seed Extract, L-Arginine, L-Tyrosine, and Melatonin. Finally there is the “Enhanced PM Fat Burning” contains L-Carnitine L-Tartrate.
- A really interesting ingredient that is often used to relax people who are highly stressed or anxious.
- People with insomnia have been found to have naturally lower levels of GABA than normal, and when they supplement with it their sleep can improve dramatically.
- One issue with GABA is that it doesn’t work unless it is accompanied with an ingredient that can boost nitric oxide. Luckily, Elixir PM contains Vitamin B6 which modulates nitric oxide.
- This ingredient is a compound that turns into serotonin, a neurotransmitter that makes you happy. It has been scientifically proven to reduce appetite , and reduce body weight.
- It may also help to reduce night terrors (which can come in handy if they are stopping you from sleeping properly) .
Mucuna Pruriens Seed Extract –
- An interesting ingredient that seems to improve sperm quality (due to improved testosterone?), reduces cortisol, increased dopamine, and an improved sense of well being.
- Improves blood flow and nitric oxide (which helps GABA cross the blood brain barrier). It may also increase growth hormone, but this is still a matter of debate.
- An amino acid that produces dopamine and noradrenaline. It can lower stress, improve well being, may help alleviate the symptoms of depression, and can also improve cognition.
- Melatonin – Amazingly effective at treating insomnia, it has been shown to be particularly good at reducing sleep latency (time it takes to fall asleep) . It can lower blood pressure, and is excellent at treating jet lag.
- L-Carnitine – This is part of the “Enhanced PM Fat Burning” blend, and it does seem to reduce body fat, while also reducing fatigue. It’s also non-stimulatory which is good as this is a pre-sleep supplement.
Elixir PM is an excellent sleep aid, it contains powerful ingredients that can not only help you recover from your day, but can also help you to lose weight.
Take it 30 minutes before bed and you will see the best results from the GABA, but remember to combine this with good sleeping practices. Get the room temperature right, follow a routine, avoid caffeine after 6pm etc … You’ll be very pleased with the results.
 Ceci, F., Cangiano, C., Cairella, M., Cascino, A., Del Ben, M., Muscaritoli, M., Sibilia, L., Rossi Fanelli, F. 1989. The effects of oral 5-hydroxytryptophan administration on feeding behaviour in obese adult female subjects. Journal of Neural Transmission 76(2): 109-17
 Bruni, O., Ferri, R., Miano, S., Verrillo, E. 2004. L-5-Hydroxytryptophan treatment of sleep terrors in children. European Journal of Pediatrics 163(7): 402-7
 Lemoine, P., Laudon, M., Zisapel, N. 2007. Prolonged-release melatonin improves sleep quality and morning alertness in insomnia patients aged 55 years and older and has no withdrawal effects. Journal of Sleep Research 16(4): 372-80
View Our Top Supplement Lists: